Friday, October 8, 2010

Wilhelm's Birth Story

First off, I would like to thank my husband for updating this blog after Wilhelm arrived!

I guess I would have to start by saying his labor really did start on Sunday the 3rd as those contractions continued through Monday and Tuesday.  I guess that it was made my "real" labor only 6 hours with pushing for another 3 hours.
Went to bed Tuesday evening and woke at 12:30 am to use the bathroom.  When I came back to bed I could tell that the contractions were much more painful.  I waiting for 3 of them before waking my husband.  He jumped in the shower and got dressed and I did the same.  We were in the car at 1:30 and arrived at the hospital at 2:30. 

They set me up on the monitor and contractions were anywhere from 3-5 minutes apart.  I could not talk through them, but the nurse thought I was not "working hard enough" through them.  So after listening to baby for about 45 minutes, she let us up to walk.  We walked the halls until I felt the need to come lay down.  By this point I was making noises during the contractions. 

I'm not remember the times very well, but I think it was between 5:30 and 6am when she finally checked me.  When a very surprised look she said "wow, you are really dilated.  I would say 6cm".  At this point she started checking me in and called the dr. 
It was only 3 contractions before the doctor arrived and I was at 9cm!  She broke my water and said I could start pushing if I wanted to.  Wow, I could not believe how "easy" the labor part was!!! 

Pushing was a problem.  Just like last time, I never felt the urge to push.  Also I was having AWFUL back labor and pushing was the last thing I wanted to do as I was trying to get through the back pain with each contraction. 
I was told it took me a good hour to used to pushing and then another 30+ minutes to stop fighting the contractions because of the pain.  So, even though I was pushing for 3 hours it was only just over an hour of "good pushing".  
Pushing through so much pain was awful.  I was begging for something for the pain, but of course there was nothing I could have at this point.  I was having a hard time getting the baby's head to come past my old scar that was not stretching at all.  The nurse was great and kept encouraging me to squat but I was too tired.  She brought in the birthing stool and set it on the bed.  Sitting on it intensified the pain sooooo much, but it allowed the baby's head to come out in the next push and didn't go back in.  In the next push he was out! 

Wilhelm's 14 3/4 inch head did not come out without doing damage.  It took an hour to get stitched up and put back together.   I am so swollen I can't sit and walking is very hard.  I'm told it will get better, but I'm wondering how long. 

But it was ALL worth it and my HG baby is perfectly healthy.  We are home now and the other children are loving on their baby brother so much. 

Thanks for all the congratulations comments! 


Sleepwalker said...

Well done. You had quite a speedy labour in the end but what a marathon. Hope you heal quickly. Your baby is lovely and you did so well. You've been so brave all the way through. I think you said this baby completes your family so that's great. I hope you are resting now and everyone is making a proper fuss of you and baby.

The advice I was given by senior midwife was to stay in bed for a whole week and avoid unnecessary walking and stairs until tear is knitted well. Pour luke-warm water over bits when you go and don't share bath with baby while wound is healing. I spent first week mainly in bed with baby getting to know one another and learning to feed her. I was given Volterol to ease bruising and pain but it gave me double vision so I don't recommend it (known to cause visual disturbances) but I did have nice little arnica tablets to dissolve under tongue for bruising. I couldn't wear those stockings they give you here as they have latex but I was told risk of thrombosis from staying in bed is actually very low and rest was worth it + moving about can cause tear to scar up more.

I was a bit concerned about the scar tissue problem you had as I asked if same thing could cause difficulty in birth and was told no! Didn't believe her. I've been told to stretch it manually (bit like doing perineal massage) but if that doesn't work I was told I could have 'fenton's procedure' or ask for episiotomy. Ho hum. Hopefully you will not get scarring this time, fingers crossed that it heals better than last time.

Larissa said...

I am so sorry that you are in so much pain! When I read that he had a 14 3/4 inch head ... I was stunned! Jonathan was 14 1/4 inch head...and I thought that was huge!
Hang in there ... it will get better!