Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Almost 1 Year!

My baby is going to have a birthday next week - his first one.  Where has the past year gone?  Time sure does go by faster when you don't have HG! 

I thought I would give an update on delaying solid foods. 

I tried feeding baby some rice cereal at 10 months 4 days old.  It was a disaster.  I learned baby has a very sensitive gag reflux.  I don't know why I didn't realize it sooner because ever since he was born he has gagged himself while latching onto me.  So as soon as the food touched his tongue, he would gag until he threw up.  I even tried Baby Mum Mum crackers and after 4 days of trying to feed him, he would scream when he saw food coming.  So I backed off.  Occaionsally, I would give him some Mum Mum cracker and a sippy cup of water (which he loved to spit all over himself!). 

Then just a couple of weeks ago, I tired food again.  This time some pureed pears.  It's going slow and he only eats a tiny amount at a time, but he likes it!  And he is now eating the Mum Mum crackers.  
I plan to make apple sauce with some apples I just picked and mix it with pureed squash from my garden, then feed it to him. 

I had thought by delaying solids for so long I would be able to skip the whole baby food route and just feed him cut up table foods, but not with this boy! 

I am very glad that I was able to go as long as I did with delaying solids and wish I would have done it with my other children (they were both about 7 months when they started on solids). 

Now on to see when he will self wean - I hope it a longs ways away.  

No comments: